Thursday, January 14, 2010

Meal time in Tifton


So what is grown in Georgia in January? That was the question I had when researching places for the Georgia Grown Tour of Georgia. In truth, there’s not too much being grown in the early winter months, but I found a place in Tifton that has things “growin’ on” all year-round. That’s the Agrirama.

Having not eaten, I focused this travel destination on how to get myself a meal. The Agrirama is a living history village and my tour guide today was a long time employee named Johnny Johnson. Johnny became my gateway to the food…And he delivered. We immediately went to the old grist mill and I learned how to grind corn kernels into both grits and meal. Both of these products would eventually quench my hunger. We took our ground grits to a couple of kind ladies who were already in the process of cooking tea cakes (cookies). Though the tea cakes were good, the grits were better than I ever imagined. The recipe is on the back of the bags you can pick up when visiting the mill. We then headed to cornbread cook Barbara Cody, and this lady knew her stuff, putting this meal into a hot coal Dutch oven skillet and turning it into cornbread perfection.

The Agrirama also features a printing press, turpentine still, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, livestock, a massive agriculture museum and so much more. Located just off exit 63-B on I-75, the Agrirama is a step back in time that can’t be missed.

David Zelski